Mommy’s Major Fail

Those of you who follow me on Twitter or Facebook already know that I went to see Dr. Andy yesterday. I’ve had a persistent cold with an on-and-off cough for a while. As in, since December.

Let’s let that sink in. Mommy let me wander around, drippy-nosed for almost TWO MONTHS before deciding maybe a trip to the pediatrician was in order.

In her defense, my gooey face didn’t affect my appetite, or disposition, or {lack of} sleep any, so she figured on just making sure I got plenty of fluids and letting it run its course. A few weeks ago I had a teeny fever on Saturday evening and Sunday morning, but a dose of ibuprofen sorted me right out, and I was fine by Sunday afternoon. Then, on Tuesday night, I slept late. Really late – which Mommy could totally get used to, and wouldn’t mind, except that’s not like me at ALL, so she called an made an appointment – and then immediately felt silly because I woke up in a completely great, cheerful mood and ran around and played all day.

Anyway. We went to Dr. Andy’s yesterday morning, expecting to be sent home with directions to make sure I’m getting plenty of water and maybe a prescription for vitamins or an antibiotic or something.

Not the case.

Dr. Andy listened to my chest and gave me a nebulizer treatment in the office. He showed Mommy where my ribs were straining, which is a sign of airway constriction (my wheezing wasn’t audible without a stethoscope). He checked my pulsox and then gave me a second dose of albuterol through the nebulizer.

Getting your pulsox taken and getting nebulizer treatments involves a LOT of sitting still, which is not my forte – especially in Dr. Andy’s office where there are all kinds of fun toys to play with.

My pulsox started at 92 and went up to 93 after the treatments; apparently anything under 90 is considered respiratory distress – but 90 can be considered normal even though ideally it should be above 95.

After all of that, he sent us home with the nebulizer and instructions on taking a dose of albuterol every 4 hours. Including overnight – which means we were up at 11:30, 3:30, and 7:30. He also gave us a prescription for prednisolone, which is an oral steroid, and an appointment for this morning to check back in. (We were supposed to go back yesterday afternoon if my breathing didn’t seem better, but my ribs looked okay to Mommy…)

First of all, Mommy feels like the worst mother ever. How long did she ignore my respiratory distress? Have I been putting on a brave face while suffering for months now?!

Secondly, lets talk side effects: albuterol makes me hyper. Like run-laps-around-our-kitchen-and-living-room-at-bedtime-like-I’m-training-to-be-a-toddler-track-star hyper (which is just ridiculous – my sport is skiing). The prednisolone is apparently a variant of prednisone which can cause mood swings, irritability, and insomnia. No bueno.

Since Mommy was a little blind-sided by the news that I wasn’t breathing properly, she took all of these directions and prescriptions somewhat meekly, but now? She is not entirely certain she wants me on oral steroids – is there a possibility this is just bronchitis? Could we try knocking it out with some antibiotics before pulling out the big guns? Also, is there an alternative to albuterol without the hyperactivity? Because, let’s face it, I’m not the calmest kid in the world on my best day.

So we’re headed back in this morning and hopefully we can calm down on some of these breathing treatments (all night? not cool.) and/or get rid of the prednisolone.

Oh, AND I lost 4 ounces, which Dr. Andy didn’t say anything about yesterday, but he’s sure to be displeased with…

I actually don’t mind sitting still for the nebulizer treatments at home, where Mommy can put Elmo on for me while I have to sit. Plus, with all the mist swirling around my face, I kind of feel like a dragon.
Bookmark the permalink.


  1. Awww… poor little guy. I hope you get to feeling better. And Momma – don't beat yourself up. You didn't ignore any obvious signs of illness, our doctor always tells us to look for fever, lack of appetite and sleep. You did that.

  2. I had to come over and get all of the details after what I saw on FB last night. Poor Cole. Bryce had bronchiolitis when he was like 6 months old, maybe, and had the same course of treatment. It knocked it out of him quickly, so stick with it. Although we didn't wake him up for the breathing treatments. Sorry doc, not doing it. (He was breathing fine, or else I would have.)

    Please don't beat yourself up over this! You didn't know. This is the time of year when kids are constantly snotty, so unless there is a persistent high fever, there is no reason to think it might be something serious.

    Let us know how it goes today. I hope Cole get's better real soon!

  3. Cole, tell Mommy to stop feeling guilty. You have shown absolutely no symptoms of anything more than a pesky cold. No wheezing, no shortness of breath; nothing. I'm sure you'll be better in no time. Meanwhile, you can pretend you are Darth Vader. ( Ask Mommy and Daddy who that is.) Love, Boo

  4. Cole, you and me seem to be muy simpatico! I'm on albuterol right now too, but my mommy didn't get me a cool dragon face mask, she makes me drink it and dude… it tastes horrible. At least YOUR mommy took you to the doctor herself, MY mommy was galavanting around in the city yesterday so my Nana took me to the doctor. She claims it was for work and she said she felt terrible about not taking me herself. I'll let her slide, because that's what we do! We cut our mommies breaks even when they have trouble doing it for themselves. šŸ™‚

    Hope to see you soon!

  5. Aww… im sure the mist feels great. Nicholas will be back to 100% in no time. šŸ™‚

  6. Dont worry, mommies do this sometimes. My mom once smacked my head on the edge of a coffee table while taking me out of the carseat.

    The neb, oh the dreaded neb. That crap made me SO jittery when I was little.

  7. Cute Blog! I hope the little guy feels better soon! Iā€™m a new follower Happy Sunday!! I would love for you to stop and take a look at my blog as well! Thanks!

  8. Stopping by from Relax and Surf Sunday Hop. I'm your newest follower, also “Liked” you on Facebook, following on Twitter. Please take a minute and stop by and follow back if you don't already.

    Have a great afternoon,

  9. It's so hard to tell. I just brought my daughter in and she's had strep for almost three weeks. I feel so bad, but am glad she's getting what she needs now.

    I found you through the blog hop.
    I'm following.

  10. Aww!! We've been MIA lately but we hope you feel better Cole!!!

  11. Awww poor baby šŸ™

  12. Pingback: Rocking It » Love the Ludwigs

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.