I’m back – didja miss me? I actually turned 19 months last Thursday, but it was in the middle of Sling Fling week, so I held my update until today…
First of all, at the ripe old age of 19 months, I’m on an entirely new BabyCenter Milestone chart! That made Mommy a little sad – I will be 2 before we know it! (Mommy is wondering how much worse the tantrums get with the “terrible twos” because I can be a little…passionate in my opinions already.)
Anyway, at my last visit to Dr. Andy – over a week ago, we’re slipping! – I was 22 pounds 10 ounces and 31.69 inches tall. I’m still wearing 18 months clothes (ummm and some 12 months), and about 5.5 in my shoes. My size 3 diapers still fit, but maybe we’ll go up a size because there have been some…leaking issues lately.
I learn new words every day, and started dancing along to “Wheels on the Bus” and “If You’re Happy and You Know It” – but only at story time. Mommy sings them at home and tried to show Daddy, but I was not in a performing mood.
I’m still a major fan of “Melmo” and have a huge crush on Abby Cadabby, but I’ve had an all out *obsession* with Toy Story. I hand the remote to everyone that comes in the door and DEMAND “Weee!” (Woody). I love my monkey SO much that I won’t sleep without it. Mommy tried to find one online so we’d have a backup just in case, but she can’t find one *anywhere.*
I also learned how to open doors and take my shirt off. I prefer to spend my time topless.
So, lets check in with BabyCenter and see how I compare to the other toddlers my age:
Mastered Skills (most kids can do)
- Uses a spoon and fork – Yes. In fact, I insist on it – I won’t eat if I don’t get to hold my own utensil!
- Throws a ball underhand – Not really; I throw it overhand and directly into the floor mostly.
- Enjoys helping around the house – Sure – I *rock* at putting things into containers – I can switch the laundry from the washer to the drier, put trash into the garbage, and put my blocks into their box! I am *terrified* of the dust buster.
Emerging Skills (half of kids can do)
- Understands as many as 200 w0rds – I guess? I’m not sure how to gauge that – I can identify about 30 different animals, and I’ll point to common household items in books. I always shout “car!” and “truck!” when Mommy and I are out and about…
- Recognizes when something is wrong (e.g., calling a dog a cat) – Uh, Mommy hasn’t tried to trick me, so we don’t know. (Is she supposed to go around calling things by the wrong name to see if I notice?!)
Advanced Skills (a few kids can do)
- Washes and dries own hands with help – How much help? I stick my hands under the faucet when directed – and I can wipe my own hands on a towel, so does that count?
- Points to picture or object when you call it by name – I’ve been doing this forever – I love reading books with anyone who will sit with me and I like pointing out the items I recognize.
- May know when he needs to pee – *If* I know I’m not sharing that information…